Monday, July 11, 2011

Mrs. Dash to the Rescue!

Today was my turn to cook, so I tried an old favorite (but sans salt) - shrimp and corn bisque. Aside from not adding salt and using very low sodium chicken broth, my other problem was the we didn't have enough butter to make the roux so I had to use oil instead (not nearly as good). I was getting worried near the end of cooking because even after I added the hot sauce and black pepper the soup was tasting pretty bland. So I dumped in a bunch of Mrs. Dash table blend. And it worked miracles. The bisque was instantly transformed from blah into wow.

I also made a fresh loaf of homemade rosemary french bread, and this time I did not leave out any salt. (Last time I halved the salt and the bread wasn't nearly as light or good). This time it was much better. I could only have one slice, but it was a slice of heaven. I used the bread machine on the dough cycle, then shaped it and cooked the loaf on a stone in the oven. Super yummy, but not super low sodium. In this situation, portion control is your best tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment