Monday, July 25, 2011

Snacking 101

Getting hungry between meals is common, at least in my experience on the low sodium diet. The problem is that a lot of snacks are too salty for me to eat now. I really miss the days of eating pretzels and popcorn. I am still learning the ropes (and over relying on nuts to tide me over), but as I find good quick snack ideas I will post them here. Aside from the obvious things - fruits, raw veggies and unsalted nuts, I am finding a few other things that fit the bill.

Low sodium snack idea #1 - no sugar added applesauce with powdered cinnamon mixed in. Sodium count = 0mg and it tastes great. Takes no time to prepare. Easy!

Low sodium snack idea #2 (and this also makes a great breakfast) - yogurt with granola and your favorite fruit. Sodium count approximately 130 mg (mostly from the yogurt), assuming 1 cup of yogurt and 1/2 cup granola. Read your labels and choose wisely.

Low sodium snack #3 - Terra sweet potato chips. 10 mg sodium per ounce of chips (about 17). Add some Mrs Dash to taste and they really hit the spot. You could eat the whole bag and not blow your sodium budget.

Low sodium snack #4 - Trader Joe's trail mixes. TJs has a very large variety of trail mixes, and many of them are suitable for low sodium eating. I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of my favorites are still OK for me to consume, within reasonable limits. Even the spicy ones!

Low sodium snack #5 - dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater) is generally sodium free, or so low as to be negligible. And one of my favorite things ever. :-)

Happy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment