Saturday, July 9, 2011

What About Iodine?

Iodized salt is the primary source of iodine for most adults, so my switch to a low sodium diet that specifically avoids the use of iodized table salt made me wonder if I need to supplement my diet with iodine. The last thing I need is a thyroid problem or a goiter. Fortunately, the adult human does not require large amounts of iodine to maintain health. Eating ocean fish once a week is a great way to get all of the recommended iodine for a healthy adult. I think we can handle that, particularly since tonight's meal of salmon cooked with veggies in foil packets was such as awesome hit and tasted great without any added salt. I did add some freshly ground pepper and lemon pepper flavor Mrs. Dash. PDM doesn't really use a recipe for this, but I will try to come up with an approximate one and post it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment